The 2014 Donate Life Transplant Games of America will be hosted in various venues throughout our city/county from July 11-15, 2014. The event recognizes organ, corneal, and tissue donors, transplant recipients, living donors and their families while also raising awareness about the critical need for organ donation. We have the largest medical center in the world right here in our own backyard and the medical staff performs lifesaving procedures every single day… saving thousands of lives each year. Currently we are on track to have the largest number of participants and most successful Games ever hosted in the event’s 22 year history! We have even caught the attention of the International Federation for the World Transplant Games, which has never been hosted in the United States before, and they will be sending representatives to Houston to attend the Opening Ceremony at BBVA Compass Stadium.
We need your help:
- We still have volunteer shifts to fill – many of the duties can be performed in air conditioned places and only require a four hour commitment. Volunteers are given shirts, meals, onsite training, and opportunities to win great prizes. Can you help us support this inspirational Houston event by donating your time ? Please sign up for specific shifts by going to the following link: https://2014tgofamerica.theregistrationsystem.com/en/2109
- We need to fill seats at the stadium during the Opening Ceremony: BBVA Compass Stadium, 7:30pm to 9:30pm, Saturday, July 12, 2014. Admittance to the Opening Ceremony is free and includes a chance to see the world’s largest space shuttle ever built entirely from balloons and spanning above the stadium roof (with the last few blown up by lung transplant recipients), a concert performed by American Idol finalist Scott MacIntyre, professional dance performances, lighting of the cauldron, fireworks, and many more fun surprises. We are willing to make arrangements for buses to pick up any groups of 30 or more at no cost to the group and transport them to/from the stadium. This will be a televised event and all groups are welcome to bring banners, dress in the same organizational shirts, designate stadium sections, etc. All questions/requests go to: info@HoustonSports.org or call 713/308-5900.
- 5K Run/Walk for Transplant Awareness – Open to the public to participate, this event takes place on Saturday morning at 8am, July 12, 2014. To register click here: https://events.clearthunder.com/TGA20145K
- Closing Ceremony is open to the public free of charge and will be held at the George R Brown Convention Center on Tuesday, July 15, 2014 at 7:30pm. We are looking for anyone that is currently on the donor wait list and is feeling well enough to attend the event. Special VIP seating will be provided and a shirt given to each participant, who will also be recognized during the event. All inquiries go to: info@HoustonSports.org or call 713/308-5900.
Come out and cheer these amazing participants on! Admission is free at the following locations:
- Opening Ceremony - 7:30pm on Saturday, July 12 at BBVA Compass Stadium
- Competitions and TGA Village - 10am to 4pm daily from Saturday, July 12 through Tuesday, July 15 at the George R. Brown Convention Center
- Swimming Competition - 9am to 4pm on Sunday, July 13 at Rice University
- Cycling Competition - 9am to 12pm on Sunday, July 13 along Allen Parkway
- Track & Field Competition - 9am to 5pm on Monday, July 14 at Rice University
- Bowling Competition - 9am to 5pm on Monday, July 14 at Palace Lanes
- Tennis Competition - 9am to 5pm on Monday, July 14 and Tuesday July 15 at Memorial Tennis Center
- Closing Ceremonies - 7:30pm on Tuesday, July 15 at the George R. Brown Convention Center